Friday, October 12, 2007

You Were Inspired by What?

OK, yes I have been extremely delinquent in my blog posting this week. I was so proud that I got a weekend post in last week, and then I just haven't been able to get it done this week. I actually have several posts already created in my head as well as 1 interview and another one I hope to get soon, so hopefully I will carve out some time to get back to blogging. I apologize for lack of inspiration this week, but hopefully this little post will make up for it.

I am often saying "take a closer look" at things and you may find some new inspiration. Well while looking a little closer at my sons treasures from the last post, I found a very interesting pattern inside the little hats of his acorns. The same pattern is on the actual acorn where the hat sits. I am guessing the pattern is created from the place where the 2 connect. (I know a brilliant deduction) Well I thought it would make a cool texture for something, so I went ahead and carved a stamp. I actually carved several of the little circles on one stamp, but I didn't like the effect when I put it to clay. So I put it away until I bought some great antique brass finished ring bases. The warm brown color made me think of the using the little stamp again, only this time using just one circle. Oddly enough the circle fit perfectly in my cutter, but it left an untextured ring around it. I wasn't too sure what I would do with that, so it sat a little longer. Meanwhile the boys and I went on one of our nature walks and found a bunch of acorns in different colors. I had an inspiration. The non-textured part would be perfect for a little punch of color, so I took the cues from the acorns again and used a golden yellow, green and rust red. of course I distressed them a bit, and I really love how they turned out. They are perfect for fall and a bit smaller than my other rings, so hopefully they will appeal to folks who though the others were too big. I think overall they have a lovely texture and organic feel. I already have some ideas for similar pendants and necklaces, so we'll just have to see if I have any time to create them. So, I tell you to take a closer look again, and if inspiration strikes, but doesn't turn out how you thought it would, walk away and come back to it, you may find that the inspiration just needed a little more time to marinate in your brain.




















These last 2 photos show a different pattern that I found. Maybe they will inspire you. Also check out and/or join my new Flickr group, Nature Inspired Art. It is a showcase of artist creations inspired by nature. We already have over 200 members and 128 photos in our pool!





9 comments:

admin said...

Love the ring! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

I love the ring! It's also very cool to see your thought process in creating it!

~Stella said...

Great story, those turned out fantastic! I love hearing the evolution of the idea and inspiration. Great stuff.

~Stella

Lisa Clarke said...

These are great! And with a good story, to boot.

DivaDea said...

I really love those rings. I think it's one of your coolest designs!

tracychong said...

All your designs are beautiful but this is one of my favorites. Reading the inspiration makes it even better!

Cathy said...

Wow, great rings - amazing to read the journey that inspired and created them :)

Unknown said...

Lovely blog, and great work! Glad I found you (thru etsy forum)
Karine

jessica said...

Wow! I have some acorns sitting on my desk. I planned to use them with a squirrel in an illustration!

I just may have to experiment with using them as a texture. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Photo/Video Guest Book