Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Artistic Inspiration from Past Work with Mandalajewels.etsy.com

I have always been curious as to where artists get their inspiration. I know that I am personally inspired by colors, texture, contrast and of course nature. So to find out how other artists are inspired, I have asked several to detail the inspiration for specific pieces of their artwork. I will be featuring these artists and their inspirations several times a week. You will see everything from paintings and drawings, jewelry, mixed media, assemblage, knitting and polymer clay. So check back often to explore artistic inspiration with me.

My first featured artist is June from mandalajewels.etsy.com. She told me that she was inspired to create a necklace by looking at a patchwork quilt she had made a long time ago.


What is the inspiration behind the quilt?

"I had just finished reading a quilting technique book entitled “Liberating Quilting”. I loved the idea of making a quilt without a set pattern. If you notice, the pieces of the quilt are cut in random shapes/sizes and I selected the colors as moved through the design. The process was so much fun and absolutely liberating! "


Can you detail how you translated your inspiration into your work of art?

"The colors in the quilt served as the inspiration for the necklace. Just as the various pieces of scrap fabric served a my “paint”, likewise, the beads of various shapes, sizes, colors and textures offered me the freedom to design a necklace with no set pattern in mind. Often when you look a necklace you a repeat design or pattern in the way the beads are strung together. In this piece, I am totally liberated from following a set pattern and I believe the uniqueness of the design demonstrates that concept."

Where do you tend to find inspiration for your jewelry/art pieces?
"Anything can serve as inspiration for me, a stroll through the woods, a trip to a museum, or perhaps a jazz concert. I am strongly influenced by intense color and contrast. A white enamel pitcher filled with deep red roses, a sofa piled high with Indian print pillows or a watercolor painting can ignite an onslaught of ideas for my jewelry designs. The use of bright contrasting colors as well as odd components such as shells, bone, vintage glass and African trade beads combine to create my signature style which could be labeled “funky, with an ethnic twist”."

Take a hint from June, and when you are feeling less than inspired, look at some of your older pieces for inspiration. Maybe you can rework the older piece, or use the same color scheme. Maybe you can try something similar in a different medium, like June did. The possibilities are endless. Sometimes it is great to look back in order to move forward.

If you would like to see more of June's work, please visit her etsy shop Mandalajewels.etsy.com or visit her blog at http://www.ramblingsofanoutsideartist.blogspot.com/.


3 comments:

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

Both the quilt and the necklace are gorgeous!

msbelle said...

I have loved mandala's pieces for so long now! They are gorgeous!

KreatedbyKarina said...

Lovely write up!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Photo/Video Guest Book